We are thrilled to announce that this year’s Consuls Ball will be held on Friday, April 26 at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. The Consuls Ball is an elegant, vibrant event celebrating Boston’s international spirit and honoring the Consular Corps of Boston, which represents nearly 60 countries. This year’s ball will focus on the Republic of Korea, a modern democracy with a thriving economy. In order to prepare you for this event, here are some facts about Korea that you should know:
– The current President of South Korea is Park Geun-hye, the first woman to serve in this position.
– One of the fastest growing economies, Korea ranks 15th in the world by nominal GDP.
– Korea is an industrial nation at the forefront of semiconductor, automobile, shipbuilding, steel making, and IT industries.
– In 2010, Korea hosted the G-20 summit in Seoul, the first Asian country to chair and host a G-20 summit.
– In 2012, Korea held the Nuclear Security Summit.
– Korea has gained a non-permanent membership to the UN Security Council for the 2013-2014 period.
– UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is from Korea.
– “Korean Wave” is the name given to Korean dramas, movies, and music that are gaining massive audiences abroad. One notable example is that of PSY, the notable singer who has popularized the song Gangnam Style.
– In 2018, the Winter Olympics will be held in PyeongChang, South Korea.
Now that you know some basic facts about Korea, you should join us in celebrating its rich and vibrant culture at our Consuls Ball. For more details about the ball, check out this link: http://cb2013unagb.eventbrite.com We hope to see you there!
*Many thanks to our Gold Sponsor -Focus Country